The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is the preeminent professional association in veterinary medicine and is responsible for upholding standards of excellence in care that distinguish the best practitioners, nationwide.
The AAHA designation exemplifies the “gold standard” of care for companion animals. It may surprise you to learn that only 12-15% of veterinary practices across the United States and Canada are accredited by AAHA, making this designation one to be proud of – and one to look for when selecting a veterinarian for your pet.
For over 50 years, Long Animal Hospital has been among this esteemed group of AAHA accredited practices, and we believe it is important for you to understand the benefits that AAHA accreditation brings.
All About AAHA
Founded in 1933, AAHA is the only organization in the US that offers professional accreditation to companion-animal veterinary practices. AAHA’s mission is to enhance the abilities of veterinarians to provide quality medical care to companion animals.
The process of becoming AAHA accredited is entirely voluntary. We are an elite group of veterinary professionals who meet and exceed the expectations of AAHA’s criteria. During the accreditation process, hospitals are rated on over 900 standards of veterinary care, which include health services as well as client satisfaction and communication.
Some of these standards include:
- Surgical abilities and anesthesia
- Patient handling and care
- Diagnostic equipment and laboratorys
- Hosting an on-site pharmacy
- Facilities and cleanliness
- Disease prevention
- Customer service
- Medical records
- Continuing education
AAHA veterinarians are required to complete 50 hours of continuing education per year, which keeps us up-to-date with the latest developments in technology and treatment protocols for our patients. Along with our knowledgeable staff, we partner with and provide referrals to other experts in specialty fields, all in an effort to give your pet the best treatment plan and prognosis possible.
The Advantages of an AAHA Accredited Vet
There are many benefits of choosing an AAHA accredited practice for your pet, including:
- Knowing that we offer advanced diagnostics and lab services, which lead to increased accuracy and experience in diagnosis
- Fostering a great working relationship between our veterinary staff, you, and your pet
- Ensuring safer anesthesia and surgical procedures
- Recognizing the importance of dental health to your pet’s overall health
- Treating your pet with gentle handling and personalized treatment plans
- Maintaining cleanliness and sterilization to prevent infectious diseases from spreading
- Empowering you through open and accessible communication and pet education
- Knowing that we are always learning and expanding our expertise
A Tradition of Excellence
Your friends at Long Animal Hospital not only champion the merits of AAHA accreditation, but have also been AAHA accredited for over 50 years. As part of our longstanding commitment to the wellbeing of all pets, we welcome you to meet us and see how our AAHA accreditation can benefit your pet.
If you have any questions, we welcome your call.